Monday, January 14, 2013

E.L.F. Studio Cream Eyeshadow in Dawn Review and Swatches

I haven't been doing favorites posts for a while now but I wanted to tell you about one of my current favorites, ELF's Studio Cream Eyeshadow in Dawn. I purchased it in June 2011, used it a few times and just forgot about it. I pulled it back out in December, sprayed some Fix+ on top to help soften it up and I've been using it pretty much every other day since then.



The studio cream eyeshadows are much different from the essentials line cream shadows. The essentials are sticky and have a lot of slip and never really dry down or set. This feels light and blendable. It's a much drier texture but it never feels greasy or sticky. I only use my fingers to apply this because it does need the heat to be really workable.



Dawn is a light cool toned taupe. It pretty buildable from really sheer to fairly true to pan (pot?). I don't know if I was using this all over if I would attempt to build it up to really opaque because I would be worried it would crease with that many layers. Cream shadows tend to do that. But as a sheer wash, this would be a nice color base.

Top: light, blended swatch. Bottom: Heavy swatch

This is how I've been wearing it. I always use a primer underneath. I run the color along my lashline, taking my time to build it up to fairly opaque. Then I use what's left on finger and blend it up until I don't have any harsh lines. I'll usually put a little highlight under my brow and that's it.


It doesn't last forever but I rarely ever need eye makeup to last all day. For $3, I'd say give it a shot. It's been a staple in my routine lately.
Anyone else have some ELF favorites to share?

2 comments:

  1. I do love the color! It sucks it doesn't last all day :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really the biggest flaw for this eyeshadow. I'm tempted to try the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tough As Taupe to see if they are similar!

      Delete